Tuesday, June 06, 2006

A Lemon Tart with Yogourt

Someone who didn't know me and read this blog might think I have a thing about yogourt. Or maybe I do have a thing about yogourt. In this case, it was just another happy convergence of ingredients.

Friends gave "us" Michele Cranston's Fresh two Christmases ago. I'm still trying it out, but I've added some winners to the regular rotation. And frankly, the book is so beautiful I'd have to continue trying it out even if there weren't any winners.

Last summer, I was working on lemon desserts, and especially tarts. The weather has been so nice and the lemons so fat and happy looking, that it seemed time to start again. Michele Cranston's twist on the lemon tart is with coconut, a favourite Fresh ingredient, and yogourt- she also likes to keep the fat down. This was good, but as a taster friend said, "I wouldn't walk a mile for it" (but of course, he'll walk across campus for it). I'll probably make this again, but maybe I'll toast the coconut or substitute toasted almonds.

Lemon and Coconut Tart
1/2 C butter
1 1/2 C sugar
4 large eggs
2/3 C plain yogourt
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp lemon zest
1 C shredded or desiccated coconut
1 prebaked shortbread crust (I used regular pie pastry crust) in an 11 inch tart pan

1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Beat he butter and sugar together until light and creamy.
3. Add the eggs one at a time and beat them into the mixture.
4. Add yogourt, vanilla, lemon juice and zest.
5. Stir in the coconut and pour into the tart case.
6. Bake for 35 minutes or until puffed and golden.
7. Serve warm, or as convenient. (I recommend chilling for a few hours).
8. Dust with confectioner's sugar or cream. (I served it plain as it was quite pretty enough).

No comments: