I went after the pile of ketchup packets (it seems so wasteful to throw them out) the other night. I do like French fries, but I'm afraid of deep frying, and anyway, the media keeps telling me I shouldn't like French fries. So I bake them in the oven and feel like a gourmet food saint. And then enjoy a good ketchup binge which undoes the good food karma.
These are good for a snack, but they also go nicely with a meal as the potato selection. They look very pretty next to a salad.
Oven Baked French Fries
Salt and pepper
1. I leave the skins on, if they're good. Slice them thickly, about 1-2 cm thick.
2. Rinse them in cold water to reduce the starch, then pat dry with a linen or paper towel.
3. Toss the potatoes fingers in a mixing bowl with a small amount of olive oil (about 1 Tbsp per 1 C of potatoes) until lightly coated. Include dry herbs if desired (i.e. oregano, rosemary).
4. Spread the fingers on a metal baking sheet. Bake at about about 375F for approximately 50 min or to the right golden colour. Turn once, halfway through as they begin to turn golden on the baking sheet side.
5. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, or as desired.