Monday, June 12, 2006

Mango Sherbet

Mangoes have been on sale lately and I have been eating lots of them. The weather finally became nice- and I have some yogourt in the fridge. So I made mango sherbet. Sherbets are still a new world to me. When I was younger I thought: What's the point without the lovely cream? Sherbets seem much more appealing to me now that I'm older... and heavier.

This recipe is from Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone, a massive encyclopedic toe breaker with lovely pencil illustrations. The nice thing about DM's food writing is that she gets you thinking about food and flavour, and almost sends you off to explore making it up as you go before you realize you're no longer following the recipe. She's a good choice if you're looking for a cookbook for someone who is afraid of cooking.

Mango Sherbet
2-3 ripe mangoes, about 20 ounces in total
1/2 C light brown sugar, packed
1/2 C plain yogourt (or buttermilk)
juice of 2 limes
pinch of salt

1. Peel the mangoes and cut the flash into small chunks. Squeeze as much juice off the pit as possible. Puree.
2. Heat the sugar with 1/2 C of the puree until smooth.
3. Combine with the remaining puree, yogourt, lime juice and salt.
4. Chill until very cold, or overnight.
5. Freeze according to ice cream machine instructions.

No comments: