Saturday, December 23, 2006

Kipferl

Well, the Christmas baking splurge is in full swing now. Part of the fun of Christmas is that it's a set deadline. Sure, sure, there's visiting and gift giving afterwards, and still plenty of time to bring out your test goodies between the 26th and New Year's- but Christmas Eve is the goal. Although I've still got a lot to do, I think I'm going to be OK with plenty of cookies for everyone. Here's one of my favourites.

I've been making kipferl for... a long time now. It's just another variation of a butter cookie, also known as almond crescents. My mother used to make them when I was very small and I copied the recipe form one of her much used notebooks. I started making them because I needed numerous inexpensive Christmas gifts. Gradually, over time, I became knowm for them and people would specifically ask for kipferl for Christmas. A few years ago, I stopped making them in large quantities. I was bored and wanted to make other cookies. But they are good, and I am lured back. Their shape is haunting, their taste is simple and rich, and they're easy. My sister dips hers in chocolate, and some people serve them plain. I think confectioner's sugar is the prettiest, reminiscent of snow (which we don't have), soft and white.

Kipferl
1/2 C butter
1/2 C ground almonds
1/4 C sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 C all purpose flour
2 Tbsp cornstarch

1. Cream butter, sugar and almonds
2. Add flour and cornstarch. Mix well.
3. Shape into approximately 1 inch long crescent shapes. I form a log, squash it, and turn the edges.
4. Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet at 350F for 10 min.
5. Allow to cool. Dip in chocolate, roll in cornstarch or eat plain.

No comments: