Friday, December 22, 2006

Sweet Heart Squares

These are one of my favourites, passed on by my mother. I don't remember them as a kid, but she put them in the handwritten recipe collection she gave me when I left home. I'm generally intimidated by squares, but I tried this one because it looked so easy. And it is so good. And easily manipulated to accommodate your supplies on hand. The recipe was originally in an 8x8 pan, but I have increased the quantities to suit an entire can of condensed milk. Enjoy.

Sweet Heart Squares
In a 9x9 pan:
1. Melt 1/3 C butter (in your warming oven)
Spread the following in layers:
2. 1 1/2 C graham crumbs - evenly so it soaks up the melted butter
3. 1 1/4 C shredded coconut or rice krispies
4. 1 1/2 C chocolate chips
5. 1/3 C walnuts or almonds
6. 1 can condensed milk (300mL)
7. Bake in a 350F oven for 25min or until the edges are golden brown.

These will be sticky, so sometimes its worth it to line the pan with parchment paper.

No comments: