Saturday, November 17, 2007

Parsley and Spinach Chicken Stew

This is a recipe I’ve had for a while- it looks like it was printed with a dot matrix printer. I’ve been working on variations of it for a while, trying to improve it, but when I found it again recently, with all of my notations, I was finally going to put it in recycling. Neither Tony nor I could actually recall any specific opinion of it, and my notes indicated it was only ‘satisfactory.’ But, I thought I would give it one more chance.

With a few more additional edits this time around, we both quite enjoyed it. For the next time, we decided we’ll add turnips. And make dumplings, or grand-peres to go with it. Here is what I did for the last version, which has saved it from the recycling bin.


Parsley and Spinach Chicken Stew
2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped (about 1 C)
8-10 ounces of baby spinach, rinsed
2 medium onions, chopped
3 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, cubed
3 skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into pieces
6 Tbsp olive oil
Pinch of salt
¼ tsp ground turmeric
2 Tbsp tomato sauce (or paste)
6.5 C vegetable or chicken stock
1 tsp cornstarch

1. Toss the garlic, parsley and spinach together.
2. In a skillet, heat 2-4 Tbsp olive oil. Saute the garlic, spinach and parsley until wilted, in batches if necessary. Set aside.
3. Heat the remaining 2 Tbsp olive oil in a large stockpot. Add the onion and sauté until translucent and the juices are released.
4. Add the chicken and sauté until cooked through.
5. Add the stock, salt, turmeric, tomato sauce, and parsley spinach mixture. Bring to a boil, and boil for 10 minutes.
6. Add the potatoes and turn the heat down to a simmer. Allow to cook for 1 hour.
7. Mix a few tablespoons of broth with 1 tsp cornstarch and stir into a paste. Add to the stew. Cook for one more hour.
8. Serve hot with biscuits or fresh bread.

No comments: